Urticaria is also known as hives. Urticaria is very common and affects individuals of all ages. 1 in 5 persons will experience an episode of hives in their lifetime. About 1% of the population will suffer from chronic hives.
Hives can be very itchy and uncomfortable. They can appear in many shapes, like circles, ovalsand lines.
How do we determine the next course of action?
- Perform a thorough history
- Review your previous health history and family history
- Perform a thorough physical exam
- Discuss potential triggers
- Perform allergy testing if indicated
- Obtain appropriate laboratory testing
With these steps, we will be able to help identify potential triggers and formulate a plan that works best for your lifestyle.